Integrated Solid Waste Management System - Lebanon
A solid waste management system and software was developed to allow public and municipal officials to calculate the cost of different waste management activities. It is composed of modules for data management, monitoring and administration.
Office of the Minister of State for Administrative Development (OMSAR).
The software is devised to calculate the cost of different waste management activities, in order to enhance solid waste management throughout Lebanon.
Three main modules are encompassed in the software:
- Weighbridge data management module, which uses the data of registered vehicles and suppliers to enable the system operators to manage, record, search and back-up weight tickets throughout the facilities. It also ensures a secure electronic transmission of weight tickets to OMSAR back-office for audit and validation.
- Back-office Monitoring Module, which gives users access to the weight data recorded by the Weighbridge data management module, so as to analyze facility data and visualize generated outputs. It also allows calculating the weight of diverse types of solid waste, and receiving, searching, controlling and archiving weight tickets from facilities. This module performs comparisons and screenings and prepares weight reports and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), in addition to configuring parameters related to mass balance and KPIs.
- Administration and users management module, which authorizes OMSAR IT Officers to manage users, groups and access rights on the modules.
The software is aimed at public and municipal officials to help them calculate the cost of solid waste management activities. It will be used by the OMSAR Program, weighbridge systems operators at OMSAR, and authorized persons from municipalities, Unions of Municipalities and the Ministry of Environment.
The software was being tested at one facility and at OMSAR. No tangible results have been reached. It is foreseen to allow monitoring reports for selected periods and selected streams, seasonal effects and KPI reports.
The system helps provide an accurate estimate of the volume of solid waste generated, which is crucial for proper solid waste planning and management. The quality of the waste management services rendered by this system will serve as an indicator of the country’s governance of solid waste management. Moreover, regulated waste production and disposal will reflect a favourable way of living within the country.
- Setting up computers for installation and configuration in compliance with the system’s requirements.
- Deployment of equipment to a solid waste management site and facilitating communication with the weighbridge terminal, dot-matrix printer and OMSAR server.
- Ensuring computers protection by placing them in a secured location that is accessible only to authorized persons.
- Providing reference data for each facility (Vehicles, drivers, suppliers, clients, contractor, and others).
- Training the facility operators.
- Delay in installation and setup due to the COVID-19 pandemic.